-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Flower World Part One; Parking, Poultry, Pond, and Palms

About an hour Northeast of Tacoma  is a nursery called Flower World.  To say that Flower World is large  is an understatement.  With 15 acres of retail display areas (3 acres under cover) this is one of the largest nurseries of its kind on the west coast.  Flower world is so large that  the map of the place, available at all of the checkout/entrance areas, requires a 8 1/2" by 14" page.  In their own words, "Our place is enormous and a first-time visitor can be easily overwhelmed."    You will be amazed at the variety and quantity of plant offerings! I suggest grabbing a map! 

After hearing about the size of this place, you might expect a huge paved parking lot.  Instead, this is what parking looks like at Flower World.
  The small lots are separated by stands of towering firs underplanted with a vairety of  beauties like this  huge blue hosta.

I almost felt like I should leave a trail of bread crumbs so that I could find my way back.

As you can see, the effort would probably have been futile.

From the parking lots, you can either walk through the woods directly  to the nursery which  I did on a previous visit, or take a slightly more circuitous route to visit the chickens and walk around the lake-sized pond.  It was a warm day and mist from the fountain, which traveled all the way to the path in the distance, was refreshing!
 Further along the path.  Do you see the tree a little right of center?

 This stunning variegated dogwood is situated in such a way  that it can be seen from many parts of the nursery which was very helpful to me in finding my way back to the parking area!


There were lots of these mulleins scattered around the paths begging Loree to visit them.

The abundant signage is quite helpful.
A true nursery, Flower World grows 90 percent of the plant material they offer.

Louis, please sit down for this next part as I don't want you to hurt yourself if you faint. There were so many amazing plants here but for the rest of this post, we'll look at a FEW of the palms.

We'll start slowly.  Louis, I'm warning you for the last time!

There were several of these huge Beaucarnea recurvata (Ponytail palms.)  Notice also the mailboxes; these are spread out all over the nursery and contain informational fliers pertaining to the surrounding plants and their care.





 In the "Mediterranean Section," paths are lined with Trachycarpus fortunei.

 Maybe someday we'll be able to look up at the sky through something like this.


 Batting her eyelashes seductively, Livistona chinensis really wanted to come home with me but I had to remind myself that if I really loved her, I would leave her as she would have to spend the winter inside and I usually kill houseplants.   Of all the Nurseries in all the towns in all the world, I walked into hers.


If that car leaves the lot and she's not with you, you'll regret it; maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life!



Here's looking at you kid!

 Look at those exquisite, shiny, soft green fans.  The 2 gallon is only $29.00 and there's a 15% sale on all plants right now.  Hardy to zone 8b.  I bet I could just haul it inside from December through March.  Have any of you grown this in soggy zone 8a?


I sadly waved good bye and she waved back full of regret for what might have been...Ah well, We'll always have Paris.  I mean Maltby.
Speaking of airports I have to pick up a friend next weekend at Seatac and that's nearly half way to Flower World.  I bet I could fit a small one in the back seat and still have room in the trunk for luggage. Perhaps I'll get one as time goes by.  What do you think I should do?  I think it could be the beginning of a beautiful friendsip. (Too much?)

7 comments:

  1. I guess it was actually a blessing in disguise that the one time I set out to see Flower World I got lost and ran out of time to backtrack. Had I actually made it there I wouldn't have had time to look around a nursery that large!

    So what to do, what to do...

    If you're still thinking about it a week later you should probably go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to just buzz through the place. You'll have to come back this way again! BTW, it's not that far from Molbaks and only about 20 minutes from Wells Medina Nursery.

      Delete
  2. AMAZING!!!!!!! I would have gone ape in that palm section. like seriously. I am known to climb coconut palms at least whenever I get to the tropics. Is that chamaedorea radicalis or microspadix I see in that one pic? If so that nursery would skyrocket into the nether regions of epicness! and as for the amazing livingstonia ... they are grown in very sheltered areas of Van and SSI. They take some damage and stay bushy but from what I have heard can survive in a good microclimate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's radicalis but they had so many palms (no Bismarckia, though RATS) that I wouldn't be surprised if they had both.
      Good to hear about livingstonia survival. I have just the place right next to my house where one could spend the winter.

      Delete
    2. OOPS! I accidentally deleted Louis's comment, "radicalis can be grown in a sheltered zone 8 microclimate too!!!"

      Sorry about that!

      Delete
  3. Flower World is great! I don't remember seeing all those palms, though. Can you believe I have never actually walked through their garden/pond area? I usually head straight into the nursery after driving past all that, and then forget to check out their own gardens. Next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drove past the first time but decided that I should check it out this time.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.