-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day - Better late than never edition

Papaver somniferum




 Look closely & you'll see a cute little slug on this one.

Romneya coulteri


 Dendromecon harfordii

Meconopsis cambrica
O.K. I like poppies.


Tuberous Begonias



Rosa 'Trumpeter'  always reminds me of plant shopping in Portland because these are planted by the side of Interstate 5 near the city and we see them just as we're entering Portland..
 A flourescent Simplicity rose in the hell strip
 'Fragrant Cloud'
 'Just Joey' (I think)
 Have no idea but it blooms beautifully in partial shade in the front hell strip.

Tropaeolum speciosum

Pink brugmansia's first bloom.  Slugs really like the leaves!
 Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi'  that've been blooming for a month!
 Pineapple Sage that made it through last winter in an unprotected pot outside.

 Parahebe perfoliata

Astilbe something or other


A lovely, well-behaved perennial impatiens.
 And it's drunken, boisterous, uncouth cousin, impatiens glandulifera.
Impatiens 'Congo Cockatoo'

Abutilon 'Jackie O Lipstick'

Abutilon megapotamicum
Crocosmia 'Hellfire'
 Crocosmia 'Lucifer'
Clematis


Hardy fuchsias


scrophularia macrantha a.k.a. Red birds in a tree


Forgot the name of this
 Agastache
 Tagetes tenuifolia 'Lemon Gem'
 Monarda
 Dahlia 'Bishop's Children'
  Delphinium with a cool black stem. 
 Stachys 'Hildago'  - Leaves smell like 7-Up
 Hydrangea 'Pistachio'
Helleborus foetidus  still adding color in July.
Hostas


Calla lilies - Zantedeschia aethiopica 'White Giant' 6' tall

Phygelius
Sorry I'm late for my first Bloom Day!  Garden Bloggers Bloom Day is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens. Visit her blog to see what's blooming around the world!

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful. You have quite the collection going on there. I am always so envious of everyones zantedeschia aethiopica. Can you believe I have never planted any?! maybe I will have to mend that situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I particularly like the 'White Giant' because the leaves don't flop all over everything near it. Love your post about summer evenings!

      Delete
  2. It's always nice to know I'm not the only one who is late for Bloom Day :-) That Parahebe is amazing...love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, do we tardy Bloom Dayers need a note from the office or anything:-) Parahebe is lovely, the foliage resembles eucalyptus. I have it growing in a pot where it cascades over the side.

      Delete
  3. You have stunning photos and flowers!

    Satu from Finland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found your Blog today. It is raining so I have time inside and not our in the garden today pulling weed, yeah! Love the photos. Here along the shores of Lake Michigan I try to include the lake when I can as a backdrop to the thirteen different garden rooms. It is such an important part of this area. I think we both like to break the rules when it comes to gardening (ans maybe other things). I wrote a whole series (see past archives) on my design principles, and I often even break them!. Will be following you. Glad I made the discovery. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jack, Glad you found me. I just checked out your blog and it's wonderful! What beautiful views your garden has! Must run back to check out your design principles series. As someone who buys one of everything and figures out where to put it, I could really use the help!

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pics. Loved the Monarda - finding out about new plants keeps me coming back to blogs like yours. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome! Thanks for stopping by. I'm a little envious of your location as you can grow some plants that I love (echiveria, brugmansia, etc.) in the ground. I haul them in and out each srping and fall.

      Delete
  7. The first four shots reminded me of bowls of ice cream, then again I think about food a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I only thought about food a lot instead of actually eating! Those poppies do look like ice cream!

      Delete
  8. All so beautiful, but especially those poppies. I've managed to get perennial poppies going, but I am a failure so far at annuals, like those peony-flowered ones. Love that Impatiens 'Congo Cockatoo" what a great name, that's just what it reminds me of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! Linda Cochran, on her wonderful blog, suggests and I've also found it to be true that starting from seed with annual poppies gives varied results. (I've had better luck sowing the seeds in small pots first.) However if you see plants that you like at a nursery, buy them and they will re seed themselves all over the place just about forever.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.