-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Foliage Follow Up October 2012


































Three Agaves feeling a little blue. 1) Agave weberi (I'm truly sorry about the lantana.  I'm really more of a one plant one pot kind of guy but the agave was pretty small when it first came to live in this pot earlier in the summer, I wanted to cover the soil with something, and the lantanas were just sitting around waiting to find a home.)   2) Agave  ovatifolia 'Frosty blue' and 3) Agave parryi 'J.C. Rauslston'

Here's the jungle viewed from my back porch. Um...structure? 
 Not much of a picture but the autumn  foliage of oh so common Parthenocissus quinquefolia is always beautiful!


Canna Tropicana.  Sorry about the flower - it's the gaudy foliage that makes me love this


Three Agaves feeling a little blue. 1) Agave weberi (I'm truly sorry about the lantana.  I'm really more of a one plant one pot kind of guy but the agave was pretty small when it first came to live in this pot earlier in the summer, I wanted to cover the soil with something, and the lantanas were just sitting around waiting to find a home.)   2) Agave  ovatifolia 'Frosty blue' and 3) Agave parryi 'J.C. Rauslston'

Here's the jungle viewed from my back porch. Um...structure? 
 Not much of a picture but the autumn  foliage of oh so common Parthenocissus quinquefolia is always beautiful!


Canna Tropicana.  Sorry about the flower - it's the gaudy foliage that makes me love this

The Outlaw Gardener: Foliage Follow Up October 2012 - agave weberi + lantana

Sandra Kantanen Untitled (Mountain 1) Pigment print on paper

Agave americana v. medio-picta aurea.  Truly a beautiful color!  This was one last picture a few days ago before I brought it in for the winter.  I hope I don't kill it!

Foliage follow up is hosted by the inimitable Pam Penick at Digging.  Make sure you  drop by her blog to check out beautiful foliage from far and wide!

20 comments:

  1. Love the Parthenocissus...yours is turning color much earlier than mine...mine hasn't even started yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing the difference that 5 to 10 degrees temperature makes. I'm always amazed by the differences in the foliage of plants in Portland and Tacoma!

      Delete
  2. Oh, is that variegated Agave in your last picture not hardy here? I have an un-variegated Agave americana in a pot with a bunch of pups out there, and I'm wondering if I should bring it in. I never did get it planted in the ground, that was my plan originally. I love cannas for their foliage too.

    It was most definitely a wild and crazy night last night. I'm surprised my trees have any leaves left. My husband said at work yesterday afternoon it sounded like someone was spraying the windows with a fire hose, and he's 15 stories up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the variegated ones are a little less hardy than the un-variegated ones. The one in the last picture might make it through if I can keep it dry enough but I'm really in love with it and it's still small enough that I can bring it in where I know it'll be o.k.

      Yes, last night was a definite reminder that it's not summer anymore:( I didn't see any damage today though.

      Delete
  3. Love love love!!!! You and danger are spoiling me today with happiness. It's going to be such a crazy day bug I hope to do some late foliage follow up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the foliage. Hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  4. My what happy Agaves you have there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you. You see, I've been somewhat influenced by this rather interesting lady from Portland who really likes agaves.

      Delete
  5. Hi, I'm Nadezda. I read 'about you' and agree with you. I love to do some things those others do not try to do, like experiments. I grow canna too, that is unusual in our climate. Good luck!
    http://northern-garden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nadezda & welcome. Experimenting is fun although I don't always get beautiful results, I always have fun.

      Delete
  6. You have such plants that I can only dream about. I live here in North.. :O(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for those living in the tropics, I think everyone dreams of plants that they can't grow. I long to grow many plants not hardy here.

      Delete
  7. I love the foliage on Canna's, but then when i see older specimens growing in other gardens, looking lanky and old leaves havn't been removed i get put off. Once i bought Canna Tropicana and it developed rust. Yours is looking wonderful and healthy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that your canna developed rust. Ours develop lots of holes eaten by slugs!

      Delete
  8. That Virginia Creeper is outstanding. I have a bunch of it but it never looks like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell in love with it when I saw it growing up a large blue spruce tree. The clever gardener kept it in check so that it didn't take over the tree. Just the contrast in the shape of the foliage/needles was great but in the fall when the creeper turned bright red it shone like neon against the blue spruce. Sigh...

      Delete
  9. The foliage of Canna Tropicana is gaudy? I think not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't mean to offend, I LOVE gaudy, bright, busy foliage!

      Delete
  10. I love all your October picks! But especially the blue agaves, and I think they look smashing with the colorful lantana. I've never seen the golden Mediopicta, so that was a treat too. Sorry I'm so late in reading your post, but I'm so glad to have stopped by at last.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.