-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, December 19, 2013

You Know

Dasher and

Dancer and Prancer and

Vixen,
 
 Comet and Cupid and Donder and Blitzen.

But do you recall the most famous reindeer of all?  I know you think that it's Rudolph but  in these parts it's the live reindeer at Watson's Nursery because they're on a billboard that I pass weekly and maybe some others around town.  After seeing the billboard for several years, I finally decided to pay them a visit.   These celebrity reindeer were very docile and didn't mind people at all. 

The thought of these two large herbivores snacking in one's garden isn't as pleasant as watching them saunter around and munch on hay.
So, if you're in the area and have a hankering to see either the wood or real reindeer, head on over to Watson's.  Don't delay as the live reindeer will be hitched to Santa's sleigh and be gone on Christmas.

20 comments:

  1. But all the other reindeers have red noses too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw them around this time last year! I wouldn't want them here in my garden either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at that warm coat, and those antlers. Cute things...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post.
    Referring to those wooden reindeers, I'm always amazed at people's imagination and creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think they get hot down here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they're kept here year round and are acclimated to our temperatures?

      Delete
  6. Look at those horns! Such majestic creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And not nearly as intimidating as moose. Of course these were tame and much smaller than moose but still.

      Delete
  7. I didn't know Watson's had reindeer. We have not been there at Christmas time. I guess we need to remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Windmill, Vassey, and Watsons are all decked out for Christmas and would make a great day of fun in the south sound with your grandkids. Make sure you cross the lighted bridge I Sumner and pass by the Old Cannery (furniture store by the bridge that decorates heavily) on your way to Puyallup. You could do dinner on the Tacoma waterfront and then go to zoolights at Point Defiance Zoo and aquarium.

      Delete
  8. Still laughing at the wooden reindeer! How can something so kitsch be so adorable?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually I thought the ones made from logs are cuter. But maybe I need to see the live ones up close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The log ones are much easier to care for, require less space, and won't eat your garden.

      Delete
  10. Cute reindeers! We have lots of reindeers in Lapland, in the northern Finland. I like both ones, artificial and real ones. Happy weekend, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy weekend, Satu! We got snow last night so school was cancelled today and I have an unexpected day off! Hooray!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.