-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, November 13, 2014

What's Shakin' at Valley Nursery?

On Saturday, after visiting Bremerton City Nursery, we went to Valley Nursery so that I could redeem my "Valnur Bucks," points given out during the spring and summer for a percentage of what one spends.  I knew just what I wanted to get with my points, an Euphorbia flanaganii after which I'd lusted on a couple of previous visits. Fortunately all three were still there!

Here are some fun sights from the visit.  While everyone was bustling about hanging Christmas lights and moving plants under cover for the coming cold snap in which we now find ourselves, there was still lots to see!

I  love me some garden spheres and these mosaic covered ones are  fun and funky!



Adorable metal cut out!

Some of the non hardy cyclamen that I understand some folks find hardy here.  Have you grown these outside & have they returned for you?

 Mostly hardy plants moved under cover.  Now that I have a greenhouse of my own, all I can think of is all of that overhead space they're heating!

It's true, there is always an agave, and this one is a magnificent large specimen.  


Beautiful 'Blue Velvet" Yucca rostrata!


Yummy variegated Fatsia japonicas.  We're so lucky to live where these are evergreen.

Tillandsia heaven!   I got a couple bunches of Spanish moss to hang in the green garage.

This Edwardian glass plant box is attractive.  

Crazy about these and think that they should come live  with me. They look like they're made of recycled cans.  We'll see if they're still there next visit!


Funny, I've never needed a printed reminder...

If you find yourself in need of a giant metal rooster, there's a nice supply here.


Every garden needs some pink flamingos and while shiny plastic is classic, these could do.

Last night there was a huge windstorm in our region that knocked over trees all over the place and many people lost power.  We were fortunate that our power didn't go out, which it hasn't in the 17 years we've lived in our house.  The strong winds brought with them the first freezing temperatures of the year. Winter has certainly arrived early this year!  We only had a few branches fall and some pots blow over and break.  Did you loose power or have any damage as a result of the storm?

29 comments:

  1. Love those letters and all the fun metal garden stuff. Our Rainbow Gardens nursery does the same thing but we have to spend them in August when it's hot. We call them "Rainbow Bucks" which is a bit more catchy than "Valnur"!

    It's very windy and cold in south Texas today. Not losing power is one of many nice things about living in town. We lived in the country for a while and the power went out way too often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainbow Bucks does sound more lovely than Valnur Bucks or Dan Dollars (Watson's nursery owned by Dan Watson.)

      We're still cold but the wind has died down a bit. It is nice to not loose power in storms.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you weren't that affected with the storm Peter, and hopefully that was the worst of it. The tillandsia wall is a unique take on the concept of a living wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice way to display them as well because it's easy to pull them out and replace them.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm lusting after that Yucca rostrata. I'm planning to pull all the Nepeta Walker's Low out of my gravel garden in the spring and replace it with a couple of trunking Y. rostratas. I had (and still have) lots of tree debris all over the garden. We did lose power twice during the night when it was windy. Can't wait for this cold weather to be gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yucca rostratas will look great in your gravel garden! Sorry about the tree debris. I'm with you on wanting the cold to go away.

      Delete
  4. I'm digging those letters! I think at my place I'd have to hang them as "Junk Garden" though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or how about placing a couple words outside of a fast food restaurant "Eat Junk."

      Delete
  5. You didn't show us your purchase so I googled Euphorbia flanaganii. What a funky little plant! I'm assuming it goes into your green house for winter, and I'd love to see the blooms next spring.
    I've collected "Swanson Dollars" before, but when December rolls around I find forget to use them. The power is on in West Seattle; I wouldn't know how the garden held up till this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a funky plant and it is currently in the greenhouse/garage. Valley Nursery doesn't give out physical play money anymore, they just keep track of your spending on their computer and when you go in during spending time the remind you. I think Molbaks does something similar. Hope when you look out at your garden this weekend, I hope there is no damage!

      Delete
  6. That relieves my worry about what you'll do for heat in a power outage, a common occurrence here with Rural Electrification, tall pines and frequent winds. Our back-up plans have back-up plans.

    I trust Spanish Moss bunches are cheaper than the cost of postage to mail you a box full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the few perks of living in town is the constant power. I thought of getting a generator for the greenhouse when I was at the store just before the storm but didn't.

      I never thought of that. They were about ten dollars each and I love the way they look!

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear that winter is already closing in. No power outages in 17 years is remarkable! We have them with great regularity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, winter is here and will be holding us in his grip for a few more days when more normal temperatures return.

      Delete
  8. We've been lucky here with no power outages, but the wind is driving me mad. It's insane. There are branches down all over the place and from what I hear a lot of trees too but I haven't seem them myself. Still no actual freeze here, I can't quite believe it. Looks to change this weekend though when it plummets into the mid-20's...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.K. I'm completely finished with this cold weather business! I hated the windstorm! The windows in our old house rattle and bang and all sorts of noises outside made me uneasy.

      Delete
  9. No power outages? We've had two: 5 hours and three hours, respectively. Downed limbs are everywhere. When the time comes to 'Deck the Halls', we'll be well supplied.
    I've been wondering if I should hold out for a variegated Fatsia, thinking the sputnik-like flowers would show up better against solid green. All doubts have now been erased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about your power outages & hope you stayed warm. After a storm the fragrance of all the fallen evergreens can be wonderful.

      This relatively new variegated variety is really nice and would show of the flowers very nicely.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I like the colors of that first mosaic ball! Very pretty... I've never seen that light-green variegation in a Fatsia before. I have one that is white and green. It's blooming now, and was completely covered in insects the other day. Last year, I learned that its nectar is a staple for hummingbirds this time of year, and that no hummingbird garden with self-respect would be without one. I agree with you - we are indeed lucky to live where they are evergreen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Fatsia is being marketed by Monrovia as a Daniel Hinkley introduction. It really is a beauty.

      Delete
  11. Just looking at that EAT sign is making me hungry. I love that fatsia. I wish it were more hardy here. Waaaahhhh!! Hope you're feeling better. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling back to normal or as close to normal as I get:)

      Delete
  12. Those Fatsias! So much want! I've always loved those Edwardian cases. I'd love to have several filled with little treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when you return to the PNW you can have fatsias all over the place! Edwardian cases are cool but I don't know if I have space for one.

      Delete
  13. No power outage or damage here, just more messes to clean up outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you've got power and none of your gorgeous trees has fallen! Keep warm!

      Delete
  14. It just turned cold and rainy in Virginia. I miss summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, summer doesn't seem long enough! Hurry spring!

      Delete
  15. Wow, those Fatsia plants look so healthy! And I'm thinking I need to get one of those glass display/terrarium-type containers. Sounds like it's cold everywhere this November--even in Texas and northern Florida!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.