-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

First Snow on the Greenhouse


I had to see what effect the snow would have on the light in the greenhouse.  There wasn't a lot of snow and the sky was cloudy so the greenhouse seemed about as bright as it was outside even with snow on the roof. 

This large monkey puzzle branch was thrown by my sidewalk.  Undoubtedly it fell from on of the big trees in the next block.  Maybe someone thought it was cool but lost interest and left it for me.  I was pleased and think it'l look great with tillandsias and Spanish moss or perhaps just lft alone and hung somewhere.

The Paddle Plant (Kalanchoe luciae) has buds on it.  I've never sen one bloom before so that'll be fun. I planted paperwhites for the first time this year.  (I've bought them before but this year they actually got planted.) One group got planted on gravel with water in a tall cylindrical glass vase.  You can sort of see them on the far left on the table.  They get a bit more light and heat and are already about 8 inches high.  The other group is planted in soil (on the floor between the two cyclamen)  and they're less than half the size.
The bromeliads don't seem to mind it out here even though the temperature sometimes drops to the low forties.   Loving the Spanish moss!
I covered most of the garage door with these heavy fabric shower curtains that were once in the house.  I got new plastic curtains to go behind and the layers seem to be keeping a little of the cold out.  The sunflower beaded door was a gift from my eldest niece several years ago. I found two  aged white columns like the one the agave agave lophantha tricolor is sitting on at a thrift store.  Not sure what I'll do with them yet but they were too inexpensive not to bring home.

Brugmansias are still blooming although one has spider mites.  I've hit them with the hose a few times and sprayed with water and dish detergent.  Neem oil is next!

With the exception of the spider mites, so far, so good in the greenhouse.  Everything seems to be doing fairly well.  I finally took a hose down and watered before it froze outside.  What fun that was. Since so many of the plants don't need water for quite a while (agaves, cacti, etc.)  I've just been hauling buckets of water from the house.  The hose sure makes short work of it and I was intentionally sloppy with the water, washing leaves from the tables (which were present in this picture.) and soil from other areas.  How much more fragrant everything was in the humid air!    I'm having a great time discovering how this  greenhouse thing works.  Hopefully over Christmas break, I'll have some time to re arrange things.

25 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're getting the hang of having a large greenhouse now, and how fun it is to have one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a learning experience at first. Mine is approaching its first year birthday, and I'm still learning. I usually water a few things at a time with a watering can, although occasionally when the temps go back above freezing and it's not raining too hard, I do get the hose out. I really should have put them all away by now, I'm probably flirting with disaster leaving my hoses out. You will have so much fun during the Christmas break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm mostly surprised that there hasn't been some sort of major disaster caused by my ignorance. Confession: I've never put my hoses away for the winter and never had a problem.

      Delete
  3. It just looks like so much fun in there. Just being able to spray off a plant inside in the winter must be a treat. Just a couple more weeks until break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The snow on the roof reminds me of making tunnels in the deep snow as a child. Dig too close to the surface and you see the light starting to leak in. Fun!

    Another month and you'll *really* be appreciating the greenhouse. I'm still envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The greenhouse is a lot of fun and I highly recommend that you build one next summer! You're so talented with wood, this would be a relatively easy project for you!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I've been waiting for that snow on the roof photo. Nice! I love that you've bought the narcissus bulbs before but this year you planted them. Done that! Those columns are great, I buy them at garage sales when I see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much easier to plant them this year because the potting area in the greenhouse is always sitting there waiting to get messy! I love an inexpensive plant stand!

      Delete
  6. I'm surprise how well the shower curtains look. Very nice! Is it a small flowering citrus tree that I see? It must smell heavenly in your garage now!
    Kalanchoe luciae is remarkable. I'd love to see the blooms too. Do you happen to know the variety?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Meyer's Improved Lemon and it does smell wonderful!

      Not sure on the variety and it may be Kalanchoe thyrsiflora as it came from Monrovia and that's the only one they list.

      Delete
  7. Now you've got me wanting a monkey puzzle tree branch...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll saunter on by the neighbor's yard and see if any more fell! The house is on the market so they'd probably be thrilled if I picked up debris for them.

      Delete
  8. It's lovely to see how much you're enjoying your greenhouse. What a satisfying, fragrant and wonderful place to spend your winter gardening hours! What's amazing is how full it is - probably a combination of adding some former house over-winterers and the exuberance of buying more tender things this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I brought in a lot more things than I usually would have. For instance, coleus and most of the geraniums were previously simply thought of as annuals. This year, I had some space and decided to see if they'd make it through the winter inside. I also was given and bought some more tender things knowing that they'd have a place for the winter. The plants need to get off of the tables and be displayed so as to use more vertical space and clear out more floor space.

      Delete
  9. When I brought in my Brugs they immediately dropped most of their leaves and buds. One bud that was well on its way did bloom. I sprayed with an insecticidal soap from the big box and have had no trouble with bugs. Not much elbow room left in my studio, but I refuse to give in to greenhouse envy (well, not too much). I surely don't begrudge you yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your brugs will keep you company all winter long in your studio! The greenhouse is a dream come true and I hope that, if you want one, you'll get it as it's lots of fun! The kits at harbor freight and Charlie's aren't all that expensive and you could have it done next summer!

      Delete
  10. You and Allison are making all kinds of discoveries about the joys and pitfalls of green house gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed we are. It's enjoyable learning about this different aspect of gardening.

      Delete
  11. Your greenhouse is utterly remarkable. I'm not surprised that the monkey puzzle tree branch landed in its vicinity - I'm sure someone (or something) knew it belonged in your greenhouse. This is one space I, for one, will be sorry to see dismantled when spring arrives and the plants make their way back outside into the elements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that some plants will stay in the greenhouse. Maybe some cacti and agaves that would really appreciate some very warm conditions could hold the place together for the summer. I'll also grow tomatoes and basil in there as they would be quite happy to have warmer nights than what we often have.

      Delete
  12. The shower curtains made a perfect backdrop, much better than a bare metal garage door. Isn't it grand how things you've had for years just fit right in, like the sunflower door? The red cyclamen plants are beautiful: timely for the season, more subtle than poinsettias.

    Please keep the door to the PNW closed. We don't need more cold right now. December is supposed to be warm and foggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make me feel much less guilty about being a pack rat when things I've held on to fit in to a new space.

      It's those crazy Alaskans and Canadians who keep sending arctic air down our way. It will warm up over the next couple of days. I sure hope that this was the last of the freezing weather for this season!

      Delete
  13. Your greenhouse space looks great, so full of plants and flowers! What an enjoyable space! It must be great not to have to haul plants up stairs. Spider mites plagued me last spring in my grow shelves, I couldn't figure out where they came from since I just grow from seed there. I hope you get rid of them. I brought more plants than usual in to my basement south-facing window area, even some "annuals"- really perennials from tropical areas. I sprayed them all with hot pepper spray but time will tell if I killed all the aphids and spider mites.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The snow looks lovely on the roof...I bet your plants are so happy to be inside all cozy and warm!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.