-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Swinging by Swanson's

Another great part about visiting Chava Nessenbaum and Erron Swanson's garden is that it's a three minute drive from Swanson's Nursery.  An afternoon with the Swansons!  I'd not visited the nursery at this time of year before and wow, it was packed with great plants.  Well, it's June and all.  Come and share some of the fun I had there.

There are always great combinations planted up at Swanson's. One can buy the finished product or steal the ideas be inspired by the ideas, buy the elements and recreate them at home. 

Something for every light situation 

and any color preference.


This symphony of succulents in orange and blue was my favorite.

All sorts of veggie starts.

An entire area devoted to tomatoes.  

Hey look!  That's Begonia 'Gene Daniels' that I first fell in love with at Annie's Annuals but decided it would be too delicate to be squished into my luggage.  I found one at Hortlandia last year and it's grown huge and bloomed all winter.  It's a gorgeous plant and when the sun shines through those leaves, they resemble stained glass.  Go to Swanson's right now and buy one!

You don't suppose that growth regulators were used by the supplier do you?  We've all read so many descriptions of the beauty of short and squat delphiniums right?   On the other hand, these have the benefit of most likely not snapping in half in the car on the ride home.

 Digiplexis 'Illumination Flame' lived for some last winter, not for me or many other gardeners I've chatted with.  It's a lovely thing but mine won't be replaced.

Especially when this lovely option exists!  The description is in the next image.


Gorgeous silver foliage!

Dianthus 'Green Ball' is ideal for green flower lovers. 

The path goes on and on.

Sunsprite is one of my favorite yellows.  Easy to grow, nice fragrance, bold color.  

Sempervivum on steroids!

There's always room for a few more of these!

Lots of gems in the rare and unusual section.

Polygonatum odoratum 'Akajiku'  from Harkaway Botanicals, a specialty grower in Canada.  I also saw their plants at Wells Medina Nursery recently.  Love that red stem!

Disporum sessile 'Island Moon'

What do you think of 'China Blue?'  The more saturated blooms of   regular betonicifolia, xsheldonii, and lingholm appeal more to me but maybe it would be different in person.

More to explore!

This would make a beautiful gift.  One could enjoy it this way for a year orso and then have the fun of pulling it apart


All expensive compost orchids were on sale.

This is great one plant/one pot (as God intended) but in matching pots on a green tray.  

That four letter word that every plant addict lives to hear:  SALE.  Unfortunately, nothing here that I couldn't live without.

Glorious double purple clematis

with a fancy tag,

fancy flowers,

and a fancy $50.00 price tag.  Sure is a pretty clematis!

Pseudopanax laetus

One of my favorite trees (aren't they all?)  Quercus dentata pinnatifida or Japanese Emperor Oak with leaves to die for.

 Schefflera taiwaniana 'Yuan Shan'

Acer palmatum 'Ukigumo' (Floating Clouds Japanese Maple)  

If I could only grow one Stachyurus, it would be 'Joy forever' because of it's exceptionally lovely gold variegated foliage.


Try and contain yourself! Pots on sale for 30% off.  I wish I could pull off a modern, clean look with cool pots like these.  


Alas, I live in a crowded jungle that  lacks the negative space to make pots like this sing.


These, on the other hand would work perfectly if only I needed or had space for another pot in my garden.

Red!  

Butterflies on pot.  

Unusual shape!

Is this what they mean when they talk about "going green?"  I have a serious crush on the turquoise shell patterned pots on the right.

Fun s-shaped hanging plant display.

Whoever put these together is a genius.  The color echoes are perfect!

 Another serious temptation, Chamaecyperus lawsonia 'Imbric'  has the form of a small Weeping Willow tree and it's evergreen.  Oh to have more space!

No visit to Swanson's is complete without a visit to the indoor pond! 
Off to the cafe to get a cool beverage for the ride home.  Thanks for joining me for a walk through this wonderful nursery!

27 comments:

  1. I was there just a few days after you, and managed to resist the temptation to buy that Gene Daniels Begonia. I did buy a few other things though. And back in the early spring when I was there I found some of those giant Semps in their 50% off sale area. They were a little chewed up, but they make more of themselves. They had that Ruby Glow Foxgloves when we were in Portland at Cornell, and I bought three. I hope they do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you found some things! Looking forward to hearing about how your Ruby glow Foxgloves do!

      Delete
  2. Another fun invasion, uh, visit. My mother was a fan of green flowers. She loved Envy Zinnias and green gladioli. I thought they looked weird.

    On to the pots! I could make room for most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The designers at Swanson create the most wonderful plant combinations, and they do have a LOT to work with (I'd love to have that job). It's a magnificent place just to stall and borrow ideas. The "one plant/one pot" combo is perfect!
    Did you get the newer Digiplexis? I can't get over the "hardy to 0°F". In my world it was an annual :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swanson's would be a great place to work except that we'd end up spending all of our money there and never getting a paycheck! The newer Digiplexis is a Digitalis so it should be hardy here. I didn't get it because I have no space for it!

      Delete
  4. You crack me up, Peter! On a very serious ( no, seriously) I also prefer the darker blue Meconopsis. China Blue looks washed out to me. But, as you said, maybe it's better in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing we're all a little cracked, that's how the light gets in. I prefer the darker ones as well. There's nothing quite like that color!

      Delete
  5. One great plant after another but I'm ga-ga over the pot selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the pots! So hard to choose just one or two!

      Delete
  6. 'Gene Daniels' almost has me breaking my vow of no begonias this summer. Maybe I'll adopt the art of the empty pot instead -- no water needed! What a nice selection of pots they have. I have no problem with green pots, especially when on sale...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vows were made to be broken! All we are saying is give Gene a chance. Pots are abundant at the nurseries in these parts. I only wish they were the same prices they were 30 years ago!

      Delete
  7. Oh, my! Swansons is HUGE! How DO you remember all those plant names? If I started at the pots, I'd probably never get to the plants! In spite of all the vivid colors & snazzy shapes, I return to some of the basic shapes and would settle on one of the blue shades, if limited to one or two....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swanson's is huge and always has great plants. I remember all those plant names by cheating. Don't tell anyone but if I don't know if I'll remember the name of the plant, I take a picture of the tag.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely settng for the garden, and I like their displays, and the gigantic koi. The selections in pots are so colorful, too. The succulent with the orange and yellow flowers on twisty branches is really cute, either alone or in the fantastic assortment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure hope I get another visit to Swansons under my belt before too long , they have it dialed in. However , those munchkin Delpiniums are really dreadful.I guess they'd have a place in a centerpiece arrangement . Can one get out of that place in less than two hours ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you should plan a two week vacation and hit different nurseries and gardens every day. It's difficult to just buzz through Swanson's because there are things worth seeing in every area. Two hours is just about right.

      Delete
  10. Wow, look at all that orange! And chartreuse! What a fabulous pot collection. I do like the idea of smal pots with small, individual plants. I just bought some semps and other succulents today for some pots. I can't wait to plant them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange black, and chartreuse seem to be the in colors for pots right now. I can't wait to see what you do with your succulents!

      Delete
  11. Nice plants but have to admit I fixated more on their fab selection of pots, especially those modern yellow and orange ones, so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you guys when I saw those pots. They're really something and I wish I could make them work in my garden. Maybe I should just plunk some in and see what happens.

      Delete
  12. Swanson's is my Mecca for studying container plantings and plant combinations on their bench displays. We seldom buy much there but we love looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their container combinations are always stellar aren't they? It may come as a shock but I usually leave with plants. They also have those sale shelves near the check out area that often have some fun stuff that's deeply discounted.

      Delete
  13. I´m always impressed with the nurseries you have there. Beautiful plants!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just when I was beginning to feel a bit smug and self-satisfied. Thanks for the wake-up call.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The digiplex craze hasn't arrived in Australia (yet - with quarantine laws, we are about 10 years behind, so expect to see blogs about digiplex sometime around 2020!) but I really like that substitute foxglove....very nice.
    I've never seen the Q. dentata pinnatifida before, but I agree, a true stunner!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.