-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Garden of Irene Scheck

The Scheck garden was the last on our tour of four Bellevue gardens that had never been open before - "All New in Bellevue." 

"When asked which garden she liked best, of all the ones she had seen, gertrude Jekyll supposedly replied, 'Well, mine of course.'

That's how I feel about my garden, not because it is as beautiful as hers but because it is the result of 30 years of planning, planting, tending and watching over it."

"Our suburban yard has undergone multiple transformations and I now grow trees, shrubs, perennials, vegetables and fruit.  While the border along the street (part of which you saw in the first picture)  has the most color and fragrance, the back yard provides areas for entertaining and relaxing, be it under the grape arbor or next to the pond.


"Small paths meander through odd-shaped beds that developed with the need to get from one place to the next.  Many years of going to plant sales resulted in an abundance of different, and not necessarily matching, plant materials."

One area shows my past obsession with Japanese gardens, another my collection of sedums."  Hens and chicks in hens.  Which came first the hens or the hens and chicks?  (Wait, that's not how that goes.  Oh well, there are no eggs to be seen so it's a moot point.)

Isn't this lovely?  The framed mirror on the fence is cool!

Are these his

and

hers outdoor relaxation spaces?

Looks cozy, yes? 

"A small area of lawn provides a green space between the sun deck and shade shelter.  Aside from collecting plants, I like hunting for yard art,

or making it myself. Every year I tell myself there is nothing else to change, that I am done, but with the arrival of spring come all sorts new ideas."  (Beautiful mosaic work!)

Empty pots are wonderful focal points.  It's exceptional how the glaze of this pot echoes the plants in proximity which raises the question, which came first the pot of the plants?

Bottle edging here raises the level of the bed.  One of these days, I'd love to make a bottle edge in my garden. The bottle collecting part would be fun but by the time one consumed the contents of a bottle or two, wouldn't (s)he forget what the project was about?

 Adorable shed.  

Looking back at the lawn/entertainment area.

Coming  around the corner to the front garden. Is that a mailbox on the right?

It certainly is.  What a cool idea!


The hot seat!

Thank you so much Irene for opening your garden!  I hope you had as much fun hosting as we had visiting!
 P.S. Irene had a free (my favorite price) pile of stuff.  I was the lucky recipient of several terra cotta pots and four fun galvanized aluminum pots with unusual fluted edges.  Thank you also for those fun finds!  I'll put them to good use.

20 comments:

  1. This was a lovely garden, my favorite for the day. You saw so much more than I did, I don't think I even remember seeing the mailbox with tools in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it strange how we both see different things. I'd totally missed the fact that the stuff in the free area was there until you and Emily told me about it.

      Delete
  2. Lovely garden and Iike the way she had sectioned the garden into a colour scheme, blues, reds, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did a marvelous job of sectioning her color schemes, something that I didn't notice until looking at the pictures later.

      Delete
  3. Looks like fun! So much to discover, exactly what I love about gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful garden. I Love His & Hers garden rooms. Very appealing mixture of paver material in the paths.
    Can you imagine the "hot chair" when the Rhododendrons are in full bloom all around it?
    My favorite picture is the one of the water feature, where the plants cascades towards the pond just like the water with that cool fence in the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paver material was very interesting and kept me wanting to see what combination would come next! The pond area is delightful as is the hammock and day bed (his and hers) area. Heck, the whole garden is cool!

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see those fluted aluminum pots, what a great idea to off-load your old treasures to garden visitors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done anything with the pots yet but they look lovely sitting upside down in the greenhouse! Irene's idea was a great one although your Bazaar made more plant money!

      Delete
  6. I really liked this garden too. So much fun stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty, fun with personality. Just my favorite garden style. Those his and hers spaces are special. Prepare the bottle edging trench, then have a wine party.

    Slow day, had to read the hens and chicks line twice but I finally got it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Her paths are just terrific with so many things to see along the way to yet another fun area.

    I've given away garden books galore but never garden pots -- I would need them tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. An interesting garden with some quirky decorative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ingenuity of gardeners never ceases to amaze me. I love the hens and chicks in hens and the blue/yellow zone in this garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every garden is so different, some rely on plants for their interest, some on garden artifacts. I think this one reflects its owners taste and sense of humour. Thanks for letting us wander round with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yet another unique and interesting garden! I would have loved to have a shot at that give-away pile! Gardeners are such a generous bunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been working on a bottle-edged border...can't decide if I love it or think it's tacky. Do love this one, though. Lots of pretty areas in this garden and who doesn't love a garden with a sense of humor?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous garden! I love that daybed!! I'd spend all day there with a book. :o) I love how much character this garden has. It's very well loved.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.