-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, November 23, 2015

In A Vase on Monday - A Quickie

There are still a few blooms in the garden but what caught my eye the other day as I was doing a little garden tidying between storms was spent hydrangea blooms.  Today when I dashed out in the cold to gather them, they had a bit more brown on them than green and pink. Oops.  Also grabbed a few small twigs of  contorted filbert.


The stems were cut fairly short so as not to disturb next year's blooming so I needed a short vase of some sort, went rummaging and came up with this amethyst rose bowl that's been kicking around since the 80's. I collect vases mostly for their interest as empty objects and that doesn't always translate well into being vessels for holding blooms.


Vase, what vase?  It vanishes atop this fabric.

Also grabbed some Callicarpa berries from an arrangement from a couple of weeks ago that was still hanging out.

How about a little boost from a stand?

Inside it's nice and warm and fun to play with different settings for this hastily thrown-together arrangement. The wood stand and figurines were gifts from my friend and neighbor, Sandy.

In A Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Be sure to join in the fun by posting your arrangement or enjoying those of others. Click here to check it out.

20 comments:

  1. Well, for a hastily put together vase, all I can say is wow!...the berries and twisty branches are gorgeous especially in the wooden stand....love the effect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! Hydrangeas alone can fill a vase with interest so I can't take much credit.

      Delete
  2. Not too shabby Peter, but that fabric -- is that from your holiday cape? It's wild!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you know about my holiday cape? It's actually from the linen drawer in the dining room. I saw it somewhere dirt cheap and thought it might look interesting over a white tablecloth. Since just about everything I own dish-wise is blue, it really never got used and just surfaced while searching for the tablecloth I always use for Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  3. Your hasty is better than my thought-about-for-days-and-reworked-several-times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed with how quickly you threw together a perfect arrangement, Peter. The contorted filbert creates great interest and the berries play well off the hydrangea. I like the darker fabric as it doesn't detract from the centerpiece as the louder fabric does. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In dimmer light, the fabric appeared to be about the same color as the berries so I thought it might work. Not so much.

      Delete
  5. Your great imagination will stand you in good stead as the materials for vases become less obvious. That last shot is so dynamic, with the beauty berries looking as if they were lit from within.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've come up with some pretty wonderful winter vases and I'll refer to your posts when the materials become less obvious! Thanks, Rickii

      Delete
  6. Highly imaginative, as rickii says - lots of good ideas, Peter, Thanks for sharing your creativity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to participate in your in a vase on Monday meme!

      Delete
  7. I have several vases of hydrangeas sitting around. I really like their subtle colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very dramatic...I felt like I was watching a stage being dressed for play, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do have a great sense of theatre. I love the way you have put these plants together and displayed them. I really need one of those contorted willows for my winter garden. In summer I think they look diseased, but in winter they are wonderful. And as you have shown, wonderful for an arrangement. Very sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chloris. I agree, the contorted trees do look diseased in the summer but the winter interest makes it worth the summer strangeness.

      Delete
  10. Oops, sorry that I deleted your comment, Kris. Thank you for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The twisty tangly filbert twigs with the riot of hydrangea flowers and purple berries look very dramatic and rather spooky to me, like a bouquet out of Haunted Honeymoon or Edgar Allen Poe, especially with the rich red cloth and the eerie lighting in the 5th photo. Very imaginative, Peter!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.