-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, February 8, 2018

The 2018 Northwest Flower and Garden Festival Preview Part 2 "City Living"

As much as we all love the drama and fantasy of the large show gardens, many of us feel more in touch with the small "City Living" spaces.  During the preview on Tuesday, these too weren't yet entirely completed nor were there signs identifying the designers so today, I'll share  views of these smaller gems with few words.  Other bloggers will undoubtedly post more information about them and perhaps after I spend the day at the show today, I'll go back and add labels.   For more information about the show, be sure to check out their website!












I got to chat with the gentlemen working on this garden whose main idea was merging the garden and art.  The trillium on the geodesic bench was made using three cardiocrinum leaves.  Must try this myself!







Creative front porch garden complete with door and

A package on the mat.  In my neighborhood, packages, furniture, and anything not bolted down are routinely stolen from front porches.  It's all about fantasy at the show, right?

Will I see you at the show today?

15 comments:

  1. Some nice elements to be inspired with on all of them. Although a big chunk looks more like they should be permanently under cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you loved those glass panels in the first images! Though I agree with Mark and Gaz about a number of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy your pictures of the "city living" spaces much more then then I did yesterday at the show. The word "overwhelmed" comes to mind again. I'm glad you pointed out the Front Porch garden, I don't remember it at all. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine the mindset of someone who would steal things right off someone's front porch. I guess that's why I live in the country. You'd never get away with it here. Someone would see it and say, 'Hey, isn't that Eliza's settee?' :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. These shows are fanciful. I usually see lots of ideas I like though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy looking at your pictures even more then seeing these small spaces in person. I was pretty overwhelmed by then. I'm happy you took a picture of this fancy porch: I don't remember it at all... Its elegant an clever.

      Delete
  7. I enjoy the City Living exhibits - they offer so many ideas for cozy seating areas (useful if I ever actually sat down while in the garden). I especially like the wood privacy panels with the inlaid pieces of stained glass at the top of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh. As I sit here at home this evening, watching the Olympics and resting from a day at the garden show, I realize we didn't go back to the sky bridge and look at these displays. Well, I guess I won't be covering them in my posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the pictures, Peter! It was so nice to see you today at the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the joys of the show is seeing friends like you there!

      Delete
  10. I liked Sky Nursery's Alice in Wonderland display, as well as the geodesic chair one. I also met Chance, the young man who created that City Living display, and got to chatting. A nice guy and very creative. I heard him telling someone else that the dome was originally a child's jungle gym.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry, no! Too far away for me.:(
    I wonder if I could get some ideas for my - still naked - balcony? For sure nobody could steel it from there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for posting about my city living display! I would’ve loved to chat with a bit more but at the time, I was fairly busy tidying things up and adding the final touches before judging. If you like to make a cardiocrinum-trillium hybrid concrete leaf sometime then let me know (I created a reusable mold from the original)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your creative garden as it resonated with my own garden style and magpie-like love of interesting things. The pressure to make your space ready for such an audience must be great and it was very kind of you to speak to me. Thanks for the mold offer, I might take you up on that this summer!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.