-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, April 9, 2018

In a Vase on Monday


It's daffodil time in the garden and I was reminded of this wine decanter/goblet set that my pottery guru in Alaska made in the 70's.  For some reason, this came to college with me and the decanter, filled with daffodils sat in the windowsill of my practice room in the music building during most of the spring.  Having only seen daffodils grown in gardens, it was amazing to me that every grocery store in the area offered bunches of them.  Little did I know then that this area, at that time, was a major producer of both daffodil bulbs and blooms.  This set has lived in the attic for years now and seldom crosses my mind but seeing bunches of daffodils in the store on Sunday took me on a drive down memory lane.

I grabbed a bunch at the store and picked a few from my garden and they  look identical to me.

Some glass pebbles, most of which were used inside the vessels to hold the stems, and a few glass eggs, in honor of spring, were added.
Sweet college memories  and fresh golden daffodils will bring me joy this week.  Bringing a bit of the outdoors inside, either  from our gardens or scavenged nearby, to elicit happy thoughts during the week is the idea behind In a Vase on Monday, this addictive meme hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden. Do click here to see what others have put in vases this week.  Thanks for getting us hooked, Cathy.

18 comments:

  1. Nothing nicer than daffs and good memories. Plus they look perfect in that container. Blue and yellow is my favorite spring combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like the set your pottery guru made...quite wonderful, and especially beautiful filled with those daffodils! I think a few of mine might finally be blooming by the end of the week as we finally warm to spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those glass pebbles really pull it all together, Peter - what a great idea to use them both in and out of the vessels. And it's always nice if our vases or their contents bring back some memories...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good memory lane post! Thanks for giving us another glimpse into your past. Enjoy your beautiful arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely composition -yellow daffodils and blue vases, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bright and cheerful blue and yellow arrangement. Like others, I appreciated the trip into your past. Now I'm remembering all the things that were unique to me about this area when we first moved here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely colour combo! I like the glass pebbles and eggs too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your prop collection may rival Cathy's, Peter! The daffodils are glorious. I'm surprised and chagrined to realize that I don't grow any of the bright yellow Narcissi in my own garden. I must correct that this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful bejewelled arrangement to surround the flower of the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like to see a big bunch of daffodils! And yellow and blue go so well together. Enjoy your pretty arrangement and your trip down memory lane! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Memories, artifacts and pretty blooms...the core of IAVOM. Your daffodils are really cheery. Enjoy the week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet memories and sweet flowers. Nothing like those bright yellow daffs to kick off the week. Happy IAVOM.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Daffs are so cheerful and they look great with the contrasting blue and white of the carafe and goblets. I like the glittery props, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cheerful. You find the most interesting containers and presentations for your arrangements. Lovely. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy your pretty arrangement and your trip down memory lane! :)


    Royal1688

    ReplyDelete
  16. Daffodils are the most important flower of spring to me. And they do call for blue when put in a vase.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blue and yellow and sweet memories...what a dynamic combo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful. I love how the blue plays with the yellow really making it pop.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.